Thursday, 23 March 2006

Personal Statement

For the first three years of high school at Akureyri Junior College I studied a balance of subjects including Icelandic, English, Swedish, German, History, Sociology, Art, Theatre, Verbal Expression and Physical Education. I chose to specialise in Art so I spent fourth year at Akureyri School of Visual Art where I took the Art Foundation course. During the year I studied subjects like: Basic Forms, Basic Drawing, Light and Shadow, 1-, 2- and 3-point Perspective, Anatomy and Life Model Drawing, Art History, Colour Knowledge, Image Composition, 3D Sculpture, Painting, Portfolio and Individual Choice where I did a comic strip and a photo series. I graduated from both schools simultaneously in June 2003 and have the degree ‘Studentsprof’. I enjoyed studying at Akureyri School of Visual Arts and I was interested in the senior students’ work. I considered joining the art school’s three-year Graphic Design course but decided against it in favour of studying somewhere new and more exciting.

While at Akureyri School of Visual Art I went on a study trip to Reykjavik to visit artists’ workshops, art museums, advertising companies and a theatre. I was particularly interested in the advertising companies and the theatre. Both had a similar approach to brainstorming ideas and then coming up with a concept that would convince their customers. This creative and exciting process is what I hope to experience in my studies and later professional life.

While working at Kaffitar I enjoyed trying to make the things that didn’t sell quickly seem more desirable to customers, and trying to make people realise that things don’t always have to be used for the purposes they have traditionally be used for. This gave me a lot of satisfaction and I would like to learn more about it and do it professionally. I also competed in the Iceland Barista Championship, where competitors prepare several coffee drinks including a ‘signature’ drink which each competitor must create. You also choose a theme for your signature drink, and the crockery, menu and background music that accompany it. The judges liked the artistic element in my performance and how my Jamaican beach theme was strongly evident in the ingredients, crockery and music I selected. Creativity has been a rewarding aspect of my work. I enjoy thinking about how to present ideas and products, and I want to develop this.

My interests and hobbies include art, design, photography, theatre, films, music, reading, people, culture, languages, travelling, mythology, food and coffee. My interest in design goes back to my early childhood – I recall being intrigued by the adverts that were shown between cartoon shows on TV. This has developed, and today I’m interested in the ideas and designs used in movie posters, CD covers and the adverts that fill the pages in glossy fashion and design magazines. I’m a person who does judge a book by its cover, and I would love to design the things listed above - both the product itself and the advertisements used to promote it.

I’m inspired by artists who often use bold colours, opposites and strong images. One of my favourites, though he is primarily a film director, is Tim Burton. I like the way he makes things either very colourful or simply black and white – everything he does is so extreme. I also like the work of artists such as Frida Kahlo, Roy Lichtenstein, Andy Warhol, Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec, Richard Hamilton, Peter Blake and Erro – all of whom use strong colours and feelings in their work.

Iceland is one of the smallest countries in the world, so I have chosen to study in Britain because of its social and cultural diversity and the range of opportunities that are available. I believe that living and studying in the UK will be an exciting, stimulating and creative experience and good preparation for a career in design.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

http://www.oldmasterpiece.com/temp/280_0_258_500_43_83_0_ffffff_0_efeadc.jpg

Toulouse-Lautrec er einn margbrotnasti listamaður sem uppi hefur verið svo var hann líka mikill húmoristi, Ég fíla hann líka ;)
Skemmtu þér vel yfir umsóknunum

Sigrún Parísarskvísa

Anonymous said...

Já, það er ekki nægileg fjölbreytni á Íslandi, hvað þá á Akureyri. Ekki móðgast kæru Norðlendingar;)
Skil vel að þú kjósir að læra erlendis aðstaðan hérna heima er ekki upp á marga fiska.