Saturday, 26 April 2008

Þórhallur And Þórhallur

First of all me and Scott went to London on Friday last week, the 18th of April. We arrived early and went to Hyde Park where we saw some amazing playful squirrels. One of them even climbed up on Scott's leg and I am sure we could have have them all over us if we had brought some food for them.

While we were there I got a phone call from my father informing me that my grandfather Þórhallur was dying. He died that same afternoon. He was a very good man, worked as a fisherman most of his time, had a few horses and I always picture him in the green 70's sofa watching the news in their beautiful house in Kjalarland. I am glad for the memories I have of him and will always remember what day to light a candle since it is the day before my birthday.

The sad news weren't overwhelming and suffering since that day me and Scott were meeting Haffi and Anna Sóley in London and they took my mind of it which I am thankful for. I never like having just one major thing to think about, especially when it is a sad one, we had a toast for him and a nice meal later on that night. It actually felt like I hadn't been away from them at all, felt just like having a regular beer at Prikið.

We woke up early on my 25th birthday, met up in Covent Garden for a nice espresso and checked out some nice stores. The weather was beautifully crap, cold, cloudy and windy, the mood was a killer though, happy happy joy joy. My guests wanted to know what I wanted to do with my day so I decided that we would go to Camden Market. I love Camden and this day it was nice as always. Haffi bought an outfit for the evening and we had some alright food, Scott had loads of food as he always does.

From Camden we went to our hotel room to drink some beer for the night, everyone had a chance to change clothes, put on some make up, pee and poo.

At nine I pushed everyone out and we went to my favorite bar/event in London, Unskinny Bop. It's a strange alternative party that takes place every third Saturday each month. The people are not your regular beauty bombs that you'd see in regular bars but gorgeous average people with that glitter in the corner of their eyes that I love. We stayed there for some hours taking pictures of ourselves and then went to Heaven to dance. I met Àrni my ex flat mate for a fraction of a second before loosing him to the mass mess.

Sunday was just full of hangover and pizza and the Mac. Monday we went home.

Tuesday a guy called Mike from Ariosa roasting company called me and told me he needed a barista for Saturdays and knew of a place called Fallon & Byrne that needed a full time barista so I should run there as soon as possible with my CV(ferilskrà). I had no idea who this Mike was and where I had given him my CV didn't recognise the place he was describing to me.

I got to Fallon & Byrne and was put on the La Marzocco for and hour to view my skills that are way better than them so I got hired even though I needed a week long holiday between my first and second shift. The baristas in F&B are really nice people and I feel home again (Don't worry Kaffitàr, you will own me forever).

I went home to Iceland on the Sumardagurinn Fyrsti (Thursday the 24th), got there and straight to work in the evening, cleaning in Kaffitàr's new cafè at Höfðatorg. I met my coffee family and ceme there perfectly for the Iceland Barista Championship, the semi finals Thursday and Friday and then the finals on the Saturday.

I stayed for the whole trip at Kristín and Héðinn's place. On the Friday I went to work for Kristín, seven to seven in Höfðatorg working with the great guys Hèðinn and the englishman Russell. Such a nice day full of my old customers and friends. Saturday I worked for Harpa in Làgmùlinn, there I was alone all day but that was nice as well.

When we got the news that none of our baristas won the championship(we just came 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th) we went to the afterparty and had loads of fun in the shitty place Hressò,... not too much drinking for me though since I was working in the cafè in Bankò on the Sunday.

Monday was the open casket ceremony. It was great to have the opportunity to say bye and see him for the last time. I sat there thinking of my whole life that happened in Iceland. He was always there but didn't talk that much, I assume he liked listening and when someone had facts wrong he would help the story by suggesting the right date, place or name. I always thought that was funny. He also had his horses which he loved, I used to have a teddy-horse called after Þórhallur afi's horses,... Sometimes it was called Gráni or Skjóni or Perla or Perlustjarni.

The Funeral took place on the Tuesday in Fossvogskirkja. I met a lot of relatives I haven't seen for years and years. Me and my cousins got a small lecture in how to carry a coffin before we entered the church. The ceremony was beautiful, the priest spoke nicely of afi's life and I learned things I didn't know about him. When he finished his speech me and my cousins went up to the altar and carried the coffin out. I like having had a big role in all this, because I didn't see him very much in his last years so now I got to say good bye properly.

Kristín didn't feel well in the evening so I decided to work for her again on the Wednesday. Wednesday evening I got tricked into drinking some red wine at Kolbrún's old place with her, Siggi, Kolbrún's boyfriend, and Valur watching Little Miss Sunshine. What a great movie. The red wine was really nice so we drank a lot of it and Siggi drove me and Valur down town where we meant to have a beer at his place and then go to the bars. We drank the beer and got sleepy so we just watched YouTube sketches until late.

I packed my things in the morning at Kristín's and went back home to Ireland. I really missed it, and now I miss Iceland. What a mess.

5 comments:

Luv said...

Gott að frétta af þér og ég samhryggist með afa þinn.

Mig langaði að athuga hvort þú hefðir fengið pakkann frá mér?

Er að fara í ungbarnasund með Valgeiri Rafni frænda, sólin skín, pabbi minn er í heimsókn hér og skólinn er næstum búinn.

gregor said...

i'm really sorry to read of the death of your grandfather - that's sad. but i hope he had a good life, and i'm glad that you were able to be home to say a final farewell.

it feels very nostalgic to read about your trip to iceland, and strange because i will not be visiting this year. but i don't think my connection with iceland can ever be broken after the many incredible experiences i've had!!! porn star party,... hello!???

congratulations on your new job, mr! its great that you have such a skill and are in demand in dublin! i hope your success continues.

knus

Siggi said...

Hæææ,
oohh það var svo gaman að hafa þig:)

Well...er mér óhætt að senda bolinn til þín á eitthvað heimilisfang?

Siggi said...

ooog þetta er Kolbrún:)

:*

Anonymous said...

Til lukku med jobbid,,,love you og thad var komin tími á ad blogga svolítid ekki satt?? syrran